Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Sacrilege!

My husband and I just finished watching the fourth and worst installment of an amazing series of films.  We grew up with the Indiana Jones films, and I really think that the first three were incredibly formative for me.  I think that Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) are two of my very favorite movies.  I basically had cinematic religious experiences watching Harrison Ford search for the Arc of the Covenant and the Holy Grail!!!  I actually think that villains' faces would melt off in the pursuit of holy relics:)  Haha.  Here is my scathing review of this crime-against-my-youth:
*Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008) directed by Steven Spielberg (who has definitely lost his touch), and starring the always amazing Harrison Ford (also starring that dorky Shia LeBeouf).  The movie opened up with a lot of promise (Russians in the 1950s, Area 51, magnetic tricks with gun powder, etc.), but then completely collapsed with some ridiculous stunts and some really bad CGI.  Why does anybody use CGI in a regular movie at all?  Don't they know it looks like poop on the sidewalks of Washington Heights?  Oh, well.  It was nice to watch Ford swing that whip again, even if the film taints the happy masterpiece of the former Indiana Jones image.  What should have remained a trilogy has become a mess.  P.S.  You may notice that I didn't include Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984) with my earlier praise for the old Indiana Jones legacy... that is due to the travesty that is Kate Capshaw.  She is what happens when a director casts his wife as a leading lady.  What a mess!  (Although I did like Short Round, and wondered what happened to him later on:).

Here, dear friends, is who was missing from this film, and also any other film without him... Sir Sean Connery.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Even Stevens Movie was on last night while I stood duty, and it was terrible. There's also that annoying child actor with the smushed face and the lisp. Haven't figured out how he got cast for anything. Shia Labeouf was in that, too. Coincidence? I think not...although I must say I did secretly enjoy Transformers. :)

hudgi said...

thanks for commenting, Virg!! You are a true friend:)