Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Cary Grant is Always a Good Idea...


Dashing, dapper, witty, charming, urbane... the list goes on and on, my friends.  I believe that you would be hard-pressed to find a Cary Grant film that is not completely fantastic, but as I must be brief, I am reviewing my two favorites (coincidentally, these were two of Grant's later films, very near his retirement in 1966).  Cary Grant (aka. Archibald Alexander Leach), was born in Bristol, England in 1904, and married 5 times.  He also was influential in the modelling of Ian Flemming's famous character, James Bond.  You may have heard of that one:)  
I adore Cary Grant (his style, his humor, his polish), and as I didn't quite enjoy the film that I viewed this evening (the 1973 production of Godspell, starring Victor Garber... weird.), I figured that I would discuss a master.  I will introduce the topic, and please, talk amongst yourselves...

Charade (1963), directed by Stanley Donen, and also starring the fabulous and iconic Audrey Hepburn, is a hilarious and romantic mad-cap race.  Despite the disparity in their ages, these two actors are so stylish and gorgeous together, and they make a great comedic team, creating one of their (respectively) best films ever.  I especially love Hepburns constant attempts to seduce Grant, and his unshakable finesse, despite near-death experiences and the constant threat of Walter Matthau (clearly a vicious villain:).   This is a perfect combination of comedy, suspense and romance (please never mention the ridiculous remake of this film in my presence... I dare not speak it's name!!), and I know it will be a timeless favorite for anyone who sees it!!  After discussing this one, I may have to pick up and move to Europe... 

Father Goose (1964), directed by Ralph Nelson, and starring a gorgeous and very flexible Ms. Leslie Caron (alongside Mr. C.G., of course:).  This movie is truly laugh-out-loud, and another May-December romance for Mr. Grant.  Grant's privacy and independence are invaded by a French schoolmistress and her charges on an isolated island during WWII.  They try to reform the impossible, yet ridiculously attractive, Mr. Eckland, but end up falling prey to his charms, just like everyone else:)  Oh, Cary Grant... you are wonderful.  Plus, I love Leslie Caron.  I know, I know, I always love the actresses who are ballet dancers (A. Hepburn, Caron, Cyd Charisse, etc.), and I really hate when they make these modern "dance" movies, starring some simpering young actress who has studied hip-hop, or some other such nonsense, passing over the bazillions of ballerinas who are brilliant and perfectly turned-out...  sorry, I am a ballet teacher, and I care about these things:)  Anywho, definitely choose these flicks over Save the Last Dance or Flashdance.  These chickas can really point their toes:)

No comments: