Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Sorry so sporadic...

Hey all! We are on holiday vacation at my parent's house, where I am not blogging as regularly, but I am, of course, seeing lots of fantastic movies!!! I just had to let you know about the very great movie that I watched with my dad yesterday:)

*The Good German (2006), directed by Steven Soderbergh, and starring George Clooney and Cate Blanchett (who is the best actress of her generation, and can do anything, in my humble opinion:). For any of you readers that know me personally, you realize that I love all things Deutsch (this means German, for the illiterate masses:). This film is a total homage to the film noir pics of a finer age of film, and while the black-and-white, old-timey special effects and very Bogey-and-Bacall dialogue are glaringly obvious, the film is a real masterpiece, and raises the standard for actors and film-makers everywhere. Finally, two actors who can master a modern foreign language (Clooney had passable Deutsch, but Cate Blanchett speaks German like a native, much to my enormous pleasure!). The story is also set in the WWII era of German history, embroiled in political scandal and conspiracy. Casablanca references and imitations run rampant, and the only modern twists are some foul language and references to prostitution and rape, which could also be attributed to the seedier side of society that the film follows. All-in-all, a fantastic movie that many would adore, especially if you like old war dramas, or tragic romances of a bygone-movie era! Happy holidays!

1 comment:

Julianne said...

Hi Suzie! How are you? Love your blog, I need to watch some of these movies!