Saturday, December 6, 2008

Good book= Good movie

I seem to have rented several flicks this weekend that star the practically-perfect-in-every-way Alexis Bledel, which is lovely, because I think that she is about the best looking female in the world, but it was a coincidence, I swear.  I am not stalking:)  I re-read the book that this film is based on over the summer, and found that I enjoyed it even more than when I first read it.  Tuck Everlasting (first published in 1975), by Natalie Babbitt, is a wonderful book, and I really believe that Stephanie Meyer took more than a little bit of inspiration for her Twilight series from this story.  It is perfect (both the story and writing are brilliant), and reminded me so much of being 13, and on the cusp of major changes, and having a wonderful summer.  I hope that you all seek this Disney movie out, and don't forget the book!

*Tuck Everlasting (2002), directed by Jay Russell, and starring Alexis Bledel, Sissy Spacek, William Hurt, and Sir. Ben Kingsley!  The cast was amazing, and this movie fully realized the magic of the story, far better than the Twilight film fared, I'm afraid.  The story centers on a stifled, privileged young lady who runs away from the confines of her home, only to encounter a mysterious, beautiful boy in the woods of her family's estate.  He is Jesse Tuck, one of the Tuck family, who have been blessed/cursed to live forever, after drinking from a spring in those woods.  Of course, the family doesn't want their secret exposed, and the story continues along that vein.  The romance is sweet and innocent, and maybe appeals so much to me because I fell for my husband when we were about this age, but it really has an idealistic appeal:)  William Hurt also does a commendable Scottish accent.
An unexpected surprise from the film: Sissy Spacek and Amy Irving both star as the respective mothers in the film, and were last seen together as Carrie and Sue in the Stephen King cult classic, Carrie.  I wonder if they are BFFs?  Hah.  
Anywho, check it out if you want to view a Romeo and Juliet/ Twilight type story, but not quite as played out:)

No comments: