Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Family Movies for Dummies

I have started to add a bunch of movies to our home collection, now that my son shows enthusiasm for watching movies with us!!  Hooray!!  I am so glad that he is turning 2!
These are a few of the films that I have recently purchased for the upcoming holidays, and I wanted to share them as ideas for your family, as well:)  As you all may know, from previous blog posts, I am not interested in watching Barney or the Wiggles.  I do not have the patience for that.  That being said, sometimes it is hard to see past the new releases in theatres, or past the cheesy, not-so-adult-friendly kid movies at the store.  I hope that these classics are enjoyable for mom and dad, as well as for kiddos!
1) Bedknobs and Broomsticks (1971), directed by Robert Stevenson, and starring the incomparable Angela Lansbury (she rocks, and I love Murder, She Wrote!).  This flick has it all!  Sassy children with cockney accents, Angela Lansbury riding a broom, and inanimate objects battling Nazi invaders!!!  I mean, if you love the British (who doesn't?), and hate Nazis (let's unite!), this one is for you.  It is awesome, and has some cartoon elements, and has a lot of singing, in case that is what gets you going:)  My number one pick for our 2008 Holiday Season!
2) Mary Poppins (1964), also directed by Robert Stevenson, and starring Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke, of course.  First of all, what nanny hasn't wished that she were Mary Poppins?  Or what mother, for that matter (or that she could at least hire Mary Poppins!)?  I know that you have all seen and loved this film, and that I don't have to remind you of the fact, so I will just gently recommend that you go out and purchase the recently released DVD for your kids, or for kids that you know, or for kids that are strangers to you, but that look like they could use some magic in their lives (just don't talk about magic to kids that you don't know, OK?:)  I just hope that a new generation will appreciate the enormous talent of Julie Andrews, as compared to Miley Cyrus... very disturbing.
3) Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968), directed by Ken Hughes, screen-written by Roald Dahl (wow!), and starring the wacky Dick Van Dyke (I am noticing a pattern in my holiday choices:).  This one is another great musical, full of magical realism and fairy tale romance:)  Very sweet and silly.  The romantic heroine is named Truly Scrumptious, which sounds like a child-friendly Bond-girl.  I love it!
4) The Incredibles (2004), written and directed by Brad Bird, and voiced by too many talents to list:).  This film is certainly a new classic, and one of the best animated films ever, if I do say so myself (shout out to Doruk, I know you agree with me on this one!).  I imagine that everyone watching this movie relates to both the super-heroism and the vulnerability that goes along with parenting.  So many kids view their parents as super-human, and yet, incredibly uncool at the same time!  Conversely, every parent thinks that their kids are the most charming, the most talented, and the most incredible of all children (I know that I am like this, but how disgusting is the whole I-am-overly-charmed-by-my-own-kid-thing?  Shout out to you, Asif.  I know this annoys you, too:).  This movie is the perfect combination of modern animation style, 1960's spy-movie intrigue, music, and atmosphere, and awesome super-hero daring-do.  I may not be that incredible, but I love movies that are!!!

No comments: