Monday, December 8, 2008

Good Hair Day

Hey all!  I just watched a very entertaining, if somewhat surprising, film from the 1970's.  The film was described as a comedy, but I actually found it to be a little depressing.  I reckon that I should chat about this new flick, and also mention another fabulous hair- themed film that is a favorite of mine, just in case you find yourself in the mood for a new 'do.  I am constantly changing mine, much to my own dismay, so let's see what you think:
Tonight's pick:
*Shampoo (1975), written, produced, and starring Warren Beatty, alongside Goldie Hawn, Julie Christie, and a very young Carrie Fisher (only in a small role, but still very sassy:).  This movie follows the shenanigans of the James Bond of hair-stylists... Beatty is a very talented hairdo artist in Cali, and his girlfriend is completely unsuspecting of his scandalous secret lifestyle.  Not only does he do everybody's hair in town, but he also does something else with everybody in town (wink, wink, nudge, nudge:).  Frankly, I don't see the attraction.  His hair was totally crazy in the movie, and I have never understood men's fashion from the 1970's.  The women, on the other hand, looked great, and I feel the need to completely re-think my holiday style with a more groovy theme:)  There is poetic justice for our hero in the end, and he has to sleep in the bed that he has made, but the women really get off scott-free.  I am just not sure how I feel about this one, but if you want to see one of the AFI's 100 funniest movies, then check it out.
Suzy's Favorite Hair-Themed Film:
*Blow Dry (2001), directed by Paddy Breathnach, and starring the amazing Alan Rickman (whom I have loved dearly since early adolescence:), Billy Nighy, and Natasha Richardson (also has Rachel Griffiths, Rachael Leigh Cook, Josh Hartnett and Heidi Klum... you can't beat the cast with a stick:).  This film covers the competitive world of hair-styling in Great Britain, and the lengths that the fellas involved go to in order to win fame and fortune:)  It is hilarious!  The real bad-ass is Rickman (of course), the former champion, who has ceased competition after a bad break-up, but who could cut hair like nobody's business (he even sports a tattoo on his foot of some golden scissors with a lightening bolt!  So hot right now...).  I love this movie so much, and I often enjoy it while my son takes his afternoon nap.  It makes me all excited to fix my hair, and strut around my crappy neighborhood:)  This is a real winner, and one that I know you will get a lot of laughs out of:)  
P.S.  Just one suggestion... completely  disregard Josh Hartnett in the film... his fake british accent is painful, and should not be endured or tolerated!

No comments: